Recipe of the Week: Apple Critters
- 2 green apples, each quartered
- sunflower butter
- chocolate chips (for eye pupils)
- Marshmallow (for outer eye)
- 32 sunflower seeds
- 2–3 strawberries, sliced
- 1–2 homemade googly eyes per apple bite
- Cut the middles out of each quarter of the apple to create a mouth.
- Coat the inside of the cut gap with a filling of sunflower butter.
- Place 4 sunflower seeds on the top of the “mouth” for the teeth.
- Place 1 sliced strawberry inside the mouth for the tongue.
- “Glue” each eye above the mouth with a dab of sunbutter to stick.
Recipe of the Week (10/12/2020): Oogly Googly Eyes (Deviled Eggs)
- 10 to 12 boiled eggs
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tbs dill relish
- sliced black olives
- mayonnaise (optional- add 1 tsp at a time as needed to achieve optimum creaminess)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- red food coloring
- soft (brand new) paint brush
- Peel eggs and cut in half, lengthwise. Scoop out yolks.
- In a bowl mash together egg yolks, avocado and lemon juice. (My avocados were not super ripe, I found I needed to use a food processor.
If the egg and avocado mixture needs more creaminess, add 1 tsp of mayo at time to achieve desired creaminess
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add a tiny bit of red food coloring to a spoon and using the paint brush, “paint” the red blood shot eyes onto the eggs.
- Spoon avocado mixture into eggs and top with a sliced black olive. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve and best if served within 6 hours.
Recipe of the Week (10/05/20): Halloween Treat Parade
- 4 Avocados
- Clementines Bag
- Mini chocolate chips
- Large chocolate chips
- Mozzarella sticks
- Green or red bell peppers (feel free to mix and match)
- Cream cheese
- For the pumpkins, peel your clementines and top with chopped celery.
- To keep your bananas fresh, freeze them before using in the platter. Cut each banana in half. Press large chocolate chips in each banana to create a mouth, and use mini chocolate chips for eyes.
- For the severed finger string cheese, cut each string cheese in half and chop up bell peppers into small squares. (Sliced almonds also make great finger nails!) Use a butter knife to carve out knuckles. Use cream cheese as glue to attach your pepper fingernails. For an even scarier display, stick the fingers in your favorite dip, positioned like they’re coming out of the bowl.
- Assemble and enjoy!
Recipe of the Week (9/28/20): Avocado Toast Ghouls
- 4 avocados
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 sheets of seaweed
- black olives
- mini dill pickles
- grape tomatoes
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 4 pieces of toast
- 1. Slice the avocados in half, remove the stone, and scoop out the avocado flesh into a bowl. Add the lemon juice and pinch of salt and pepper, then mash with a fork.
- Prepare the toppings for the facial features of the toast faces. Use sharp scissors to cut out shapes from the seaweed. You’ll need circles for eyes, zigzags for hair, and thin strips for smiles, scars, noses, and eyebrows.
- Chop the red bell pepper into small pieces to make lips, fangs, nostrils, and pupils. Slice the radishes for eyeballs. Slice the olives into rings for eyes.
- Spread the mashed avocado onto the toast pieces and decorate.
Recipe of the Week (9/20/2020): Frozen Berry Bites
• 6-cup muffin tin and liners
• 1/4 cup crushed almonds (or almond meal)
• 2 tablespoons coconut sugar, (feel free to use more for a sweeter FroYo Bite)
• 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
• 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt, low-fat
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 1 1/2 cups fresh chopped strawberries and/or raspberries
1. Line a 6-cup muffin tin with silicone or parchment cupcake liners, or add directly to nonstick muffin tin.
2. In a small bowl, stir together crushed almonds, coconut sugar, and coconut oil. Spoon a small amount into the bottom of each muffin cup.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together yogurt and honey. Spoon 2 tablespoons into each muffin cup, covering the crust.
4. Top with fresh chopped berries. Freeze until firm, about 6 hours. To serve, remove from silicone wrapper and allow to set at room temperature for 8-10 minutes. Enjoy!